Re: CFS Bandwidth Control - Test results of cgroups tasks pinned vsunpinnede

From: Srivatsa Vaddagiri
Date: Tue Sep 13 2011 - 07:29:09 EST

* Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@xxxxxxxxx> [2011-09-13 11:39:48]:

> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 10:33 +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> >
> > This is perhaps not optimal (as it may lead to more lock contentions), but
> > something to note for those who care for both capping and utilization in
> > equal measure!
>
> You meant lock inversion, which leads to more idle time :-)

I think 'cfs_b->lock' contention would go up significantly when reducing
sysctl_sched_cfs_bandwidth_slice, while for something like 'balancing' lock
(taken with SD_SERIALIZE set and more frequently when tuning down
max_interval?), yes it may increase idle time! Did you have any other
lock in mind when speaking of inversion?

- vatsa