stupid git question

From: Bob Tracy
Date: Wed Sep 14 2011 - 16:19:17 EST

Subject says a mouthful, but I digress...

Pointed "git" at Linus' github.com repository to pull the "-rc6"
changes (git pull <repo_url>). Seems to have worked, except I received
no updated tags: the latest tag in my local repo copy is "v3.1-rc4".

Is this an expected consequence of doing the initial clone operation
from one repo, and then pulling updates from another that, in theory, is
identical to the first? If so, is there an officially sanctioned method
of switching repositories that doesn't require blowing away the local
copy and doing another "git clone"?

Thanks.

--Bob