Re: Tree sweep to fix up initconst

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 19:33:57 EST

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Andi Kleen wrote:

> This is a global tree sweep to fix up initconst section problems.
>
> Any variable const in initdata must be marked __initconst, not initdata.
> const __read_mostly is not allowed.
>
> Otherwise the global sections can get a read only marking and in some
> circumstances the compiler/and or the linker will detect conflicts.

In some circumstances? Care to explain that in detail?

> This patchkit aims to fix it up everywhere.

Aims? How did you generate these patches? [grep|compile+look] and hack
or did you actually use something sensible like coccinelle?

> Also available in git://github.com/andikleen/linux-misc.git const-sections
>
> Note I plan to ask Linus to pull this directly.

You can plan what you want, but unless you provide substantial
information please target your plan towards /dev/null

Thanks,

tglx