Re: [E1000-devel] e1000e: NIC not working, power management issue?

From: Frederik Himpe
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 16:57:16 EST

On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 02:40 -0700, Jeff Kirsher wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 12:03 -0700, Frederik Himpe wrote:

> > > Apparently these old kernels do not build anymore with my recent
> > > toolchain:
> > >
> > > AS arch/x86/kernel/entry_64.o
> > > /tmp/ccksyA7i.s: Assembler messages:
> > > /tmp/ccksyA7i.s: Error: .size expression for do_hypervisor_callback does
> > > not evaluate to a constant
> > >
> > > So I'm stuck here.
> >
> > Any further thing we can do to help this problem getting fixed?
> >

> You noted that the problem started between 2.6.34 and 2.6.35, and that
> you were going to try and bisect to find the "problem" patch. How is
> that effort coming along?

I cannot successfully build these kernels with my toolchain (see above).

> It also appears that you copied netdev and lkml on the original email,
> but they appear to have been dropped from the CC earlier on in this
> email discussion. It sounds like it would be prudent to add lkml &
> netdev back on to the email thread with what Jesse & John have suggested
> and seen based on the information provided. This way the power
> management maintainers are aware of the issue and potentially suggest
> other possible fix(es) that have not already been suggested.

Added these lists again.

To resume what we have found up to now: when runtime PM is activated for
the e1000e NIC, it does not wake up when a cable is plugged or when
ethtool is run. Runtime PM has to be deactivated to get the NIC working
again. Apparently this problem started between 2.6.34 and 2.6.35.

--
Frederik Himpe <fhimpe@xxxxxxxxxx>