BUG in kernel: Wrong Handling of USB HDD’s in scsiglue(slave_configure) and scsi/sd(sd_read_cache_type)

From: Amit Sahrawat
Date: Wed Sep 28 2011 - 11:42:39 EST

When a USB HDD is connected to the device, it invokes slave_configure
to configure the USB HDD. In this function, whenever there is a SCSI
device of type TYPE_DISK, it sets:
/* A number of devices have problems with MODE SENSE for
* page x08, so we will skip it. */
sdev->skip_ms_page_8 = 1;

Now, as a part of SCSI device probing, in the function
sd_revalidate_disk()-->sd_read_cache_type(), there is a condition
if (sdp->skip_ms_page_8)
goto defaults;
which becomes always true for all the USB HDD’s – the net result is
that the Write Cache is never considered for USB HDD(WCE = 0) –
“Assuming drive cache: write through”

What’s more – the QUEUE ordering which is marked for WCE=0 is
QUEUE_ORDERED_DRAIN, instead of QUEUE_ORDERED_DRAIN_FLUSH
This means there is no flushing of USB HDD internal cache (although
SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE is implemented as passed as command in
sd_prepare_flush) – queue_flush()(called in function
blk_do_ordered()-->start_ordered()) does not gets called in case of
QUEUE_ORDERED_DRAIN.

This causes a serious impact on USB HDD’s.

Please let me know in case I have missed something in my observations.

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Sahrawat