Re: 3.1rc7+ FSX failure over NFS

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Thu Sep 29 2011 - 15:22:25 EST

On Thu, 2011-09-29 at 15:05 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 02:59:32PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
>
> > 1) What filesystem are you using on the server, and does that filesystem
> > support high resolution timestamps?
>
> ext3

Hmm... Is the problem also reproducible with ext4 or xfs?

ext3 has the issue that mtime/ctime timestamps are only accurate to
within 1 second, and so the client often has trouble figuring out which
returned attribute values reflect the most recent state on the server
when several RPC calls have been transmitted in parallel.

> > 2) Does the file length on the server match the reported erroneous file
> > length on the client?
>
> No. Server side is 213853 bytes (0x3435d)

Ouch. That would seem to indicate that something is happening after the
truncate(). I would have expected the server to show 0x3210a...

> > 3) Do the mtime and ctime on the erroneous file match on the client and
> > server?
>
> both show..
> Modify: 2011-09-29 13:50:00.000000000 -0400

OK. This result looks consistent with the hypothesis put forward under
question (1) above. However your reply to (2) does not. Let me
investigate and see if I can reproduce it...

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp