Please revert "debug: Make CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNELto unhide debug options"

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 09:50:09 EST

I was just wondering why I was asked about all the debug options when I
tried 3.1-rc8, and that was due to commit f505c553 (debug: Make
CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options),
the full commit is below.

It is wrong, and the author does not seem to understand how Kconfig works.

The commit message is:

Several debugging options currently default to y, such as
CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE and CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA. Embedded users
might want to turn those options off to save space; however,
turning them off requires turning on CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to
unhide them. Since CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL exists specifically to
unhide debugging options, and CONFIG_EXPERT exists specifically
to unhide options potentially needed by experts and/or embedded
users, make CONFIG_EXPERT automatically imply
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL.

Let me point at the obvious fact that both CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE and
CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA do depend on DEBUG_KERNEL, and are contrary to the
claim of the author of this patch never enabled with
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=n. [1]

Linus, please revert this commit.

Thanks
Adrian

[1] Select abuse would be an exception, but that doesn't seem to be
the case for these options.