Re: PME via interrupt or SCI mechanism?

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 12:52:42 EST

On Friday, September 30, 2011, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:51:49PM +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Actually, please don't, it's a BIOS-related issue after all. Apparently,
> > > wakeup from xHCD is not supported by the BIOS, because the DSDT defines
> > > the _L0D method for GPE 0D (13), which is the following:
> > >
> > > Method (_L0D, 0, NotSerialized)
> > > {
> > > Notify (\_SB.PCI0.EHC1, 0x02)
> > > Notify (\_SB.PCI0.EHC2, 0x02)
> > > Notify (\_SB.PCI0.HDEF, 0x02)
> > > Notify (\_SB.PCI0.GLAN, 0x02)
> > > }
> > >
> > > so it notifies some devices, but not the xHCD.
>
> Ok, I'll let our BIOS guys know they need to add the XHC Notify line.

As stated below, it actually may be better to remove the _L0D method
entirely, because our ACPICA GPE handling code should take care of
notifying all of the devices associated with GPE 0D in that case.

> I should see if the x220 ACPI tables have a similar issue or it's a
> different issue with D3.

Yes, that would be good to know.

> > > We might work around this by doing what Matthew has suggested (ie. polling
> > > all PCI and PCIe devices to check if they have PME pending) or perhaps
> > > we can do something about this in ACPICA.
> > >
> > > Still, the right fix is to put Notify () for the ACPI objects
> > > corresponding to xHCD into the above method.
> >
> > Or to remove this method altogether (in which case our ACPICA code
> > should take care of the notifications).
> >
> > Below is a patch (untested!) that should help, but it's kind of
> > suboptimal. Nevertheless, please try if it works for you.
>
> The patch seems to finally get the host controller out of D3 when a
> remote wakeup is triggered.

OK

I'll try to prepare a better patch for you to test.

> I still see a lot of log spam from pci_acpi_wake_dev being called for ehci,
> e1000e, and snd_hcda_intel, but eventually the xHCI host gets put in D0.
> dmesg attached.

That's to be expected. All of the devices mentioned in the _L0D method
above will be notified every time any of devices associated with GPE 0D
sends a PME message to the Root Complex, which happens quite often
while the polling used to check the PME bits is done only every second.

Thanks,
Rafael