Re: Workaround for Intel MPS errata

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Fri Sep 30 2011 - 13:17:29 EST

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Jon Mason <mason@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Jon Mason <mason@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hey Avi,
> >> Can you try this patch?  It should resolve the issue you are seeing.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Jon
> >>
> >>    PCI: Workaround for Intel MPS errata
> >>
> >>    Intel 5000 and 5100 series memory controllers have a known issue if read
> >>    completion coalescing is enabled (the default setting) and the PCI-E
> >>    Maximum Payload Size is set to 256B.  To work around this issue, disable
> >>    read completion coalescing if the MPS is 256B.
> >
> > I'd much rather see this done as an early quirk so it doesn't clutter probe.c.
> >
> > I don't know how you decide whether
> >    - no coalescing with MPS=256, or
> >    - coalescing with MPS=128
> > is better.  I suspect that having a quirk that doesn't change the
> > setting, but merely limits MPS to 128 if the BIOS enabled coalescing,
> > would be simplest and would stay in the best-tested chipset
> > configuration.
>
> This is what I was debating yesterday.  Is it better to disable
> coalescing and get better throughput (which could be a net negative if
> the MPS isn't 256) or never allow it to be greater than 128?  There is
> no way of knowing at quirk time if the disable is necessary or not,
> only when setting the MPS is it known (which is why I did it this
> way).  I could, as you suggest, simply read the bit and see if it is
> enabled by the BIOS (which I'd bet it is every single time), and then
> limit the MPS to 128 as a quirk.  This would be fairly simple to do.
> However, the errata from Intel says Windows 2008 always disables the
> coalescing and sets the MPS to 256B.  With this known, Linux's I/O
> performance would be less than Windows on these systems. ...

Presumably coalescing improves performance, too, and I don't have the
evidence that says "no coalescing with MPS=256" performs better than
"coalescing with MPS=128."

But the fact that Windows 2008 disables coalescing is worth a lot (if
this is in a public erratum, a URL would be good). Given that, I'd
probably go with "no coalescing and MPS=256" just as you did.

Maybe the quirk could be moved out of the generic code by making
pcie_set_mps() a weak function, so x86 could supply a version that
disables coalescing if MPS=256?

No news from Avi? Were you able to reproduce the problem and verify
that the quirk fixes it? I wish the kernel.org bugzilla were back.
Since it's not, maybe we should include the LKML URL
(https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/9/27/274) in the changelog.

Bjorn