Re: When to re-post or give up on a message

From: Mark Knecht
Date: Sat Oct 01 2011 - 14:59:53 EST

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Shea Levy <shea@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If a new thread is posted to the list without any response, how long should
> the poster wait before losing any expectation of a response? Under what
> circumstances should the poster then re-post, and when should he just give
> up on that thread? Sorry to have to ask this on the list, but I can't find
> it on the faq anywhere.
>
> Cheers,
> Shea Levy

Hi Shea,
I'm a long, long, long time lurker, seldom poster. I'm not a
developer but like to read about at least the big issues here.

My experience on getting a response here has a lot to do with what
my request is. I only post here when I cannot find another place more
appropriate on my own. I'd say that out of the 20-30 threads I've
posted here over the last decade at least 95% have been responded to.
Most have gotten a response in a day or two. Some have taken a week.

My follow-up strategy is oriented around getting someone interested
in my issue. Typically what I do is post everything I think is of
interest on the first post, and following that keep working it on my
own. If I haven't received a response in a day or two, not including
weekends, then I'll typically respond to myself with more information
gathered since the first post. Sometimes it's taken 2-3 posts to get
the eyeballs of someone who's working on the area I'm concerned with.

HTH,
Mark