Re: Hang with "runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1" on Linux 3.0.4

From: Shea Levy
Date: Sat Oct 01 2011 - 16:38:27 EST

On 09/29/2011 08:38 AM, shea@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hello,

My initrd mounts /proc and /sys, puts a tmpfs at /dev, then loads ext4. On
2.6.39 (and earlier), this works fine and the initrd init continues
happily. On 3.0.4, however, the kernel spits out

request_module: runaway loop modprobe net-pf-1
a few times then hangs. If I drop into a shell before loading ext4 and run
modprobe unix, the same problem occurs. The modprobe used is dynamically
linked with glibc (which is included in the initrd), and it is the same
modprobe on the working and non-working systems. From my searches, it
appears that CONFIG_UNIX=y instead of =m would probably solve this
problem, but I'd rather keep it as a module if it's possible to get it
working. What's going wrong here? Why does it work on 2.6.39 but not
3.0.4?

Regards,
Shea Levy