Re: kernel.org status: establishing a PGP web of trust

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sat Oct 01 2011 - 21:02:59 EST

On Sunday, October 02, 2011, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 02:33 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > OK, how long should the new key be valid?
> >

> That is a good question. At the very least you want it to be valid for
> long enough that you will be able to get enough signatures on a new key
> *before* your old key expires. As such I would recommend 3-5 years
> depending on how much you trust yourself to keep the key secure.

OK, I'm taking this as "5 years is fine by us". :-)

And the recommended procedure for rotating keys seems to be (1) generate
a new key and (2) make as many people as you can sign it before the old
one expires, right?

> Some people have decided to opt for an unlimited key, but that
> *requires* that you have a way to revoke the old key, which is why we
> are considering a key revocation escrow service.

That service will be necessary anyway in case some keys are lost or
compromised.

I wonder what the procedure of restoring kernel.org access in case one
has lost keys is supposed to be?

Rafael