Re: Handling of multiple DHCP OFFERs

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Oct 03 2011 - 21:12:27 EST

From: John Musbach<johnmusbach1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 23:18:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hello, I am configuring a network that'll have multiple DHCP servers
and I was wondering how Linux handles receiving multiple DHCP OFFERs?
More specifically, how does it choose which one to prefer and how long
will it wait for a answer from a preferred server if the other server
answers first? Thanks.

There are multiple userspace implementations of DHCP, and the kernel
does not usually get involved at all. You'll therefore have to ask
the folks who write and maintain the various DHCP implementations.

What about netbooting? Or are you expecting people to use initramfs with
a userspace implementation?

Chris

Normally with PXE boot it's the PXE ROM that initially gets the IP address. After the kernel boots up, userspace normally repeats the process.