Re: Regression: i915 blank issue on kernel 3.1.0-rc3

From: Keith Packard
Date: Wed Oct 05 2011 - 17:43:07 EST

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:20:43 -0700 (PDT), Alex Davis <alex14641@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The patch I sent in a previous message in this thread makes it work correctly.
> If I added an explanation and a 'Signed-by' line, could someone pick it up?

It would almost certainly break some other machine. We could, of course,
use a quirk to make your machine work, but that's something of a
last-resort as it won't fix any other machines.

> Yes, but I have no backlight control: the screen is too bright to look at comfortably.

Ok, so the new native backlight driver works, but conflicts with your
previous backlight driver (whatever that was). Adding support for the
native backlight driver (Matthew's patch) and disabling the old
backlight mechanisms makes everything better. Right?

--
keith.packard@xxxxxxxxx