Re: Unix time zone database

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Oct 08 2011 - 12:44:51 EST

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 16:18:37 -0000, John Musbach said:
> According to The Register it has "been destroyed" since a lawsuit
> has required the authoritative source to
> shutdown.

Yeah, that's The Register for you. I'm sure they also reported the Linux
kernel has "been destroyed" because of the outage at kernel.org. They don't
seem to understand that there's literally millions of copies of the source for
the database. The hard to replace part isn't the source mirroring - it's
finding a person crazy enough to keep track of changes in time zone regulations
in 213 soveriegn nations and countless localities (what *are* the rules in
Indiana this year? :)

Having said that, you got a URL for the news story, so we can all see how
badlyt the Register botched the story? ;)