Re: A Plumber???s Wish List for Linux

From: Ted Ts'o
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 11:47:51 EST

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:28:39AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> Yup. xfs_admin already provides an interface for offline
> modification of the UUID for XFS filesytems. I.e. clone the
> filesytem using xfs_copy, then run xfs_admin -U generate <clone> to
> generate a new uuid in the cloned copy before you mount the
> clone....

This is probably another thing which perhaps Ric Wheeler's proposed
"generic LVM / file system management front end" should abstract away,
since every single file system has a different way of setting the UUID
in an off-line way. It's a relatively specialized feature, so I
wouldn't call it high priority to implement first.

- Ted