Q.: Why does tty_ioctl.c: set_termios return EINTR instead of ERESTARTSYS?

From: Godmar Back
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 12:52:20 EST

A student in my OS class noticed during their shell assignment that
tcsetattr() is being interrupted with EINTR even though they had set
SA_RESTART.

Upon taking a closer look, I noticed that
drivers/char/tty_ioctl.c:set_termios(), which lies on the code path
for the POSIX tcsetattr() function, returns -EINTR when a signal is
pending. Consequently, the SA_RESTART flag is not honored and user
code must check for and handle EINTR.

I don't immediately see what would prevent this system call from being
restartable.

Is there a particular reason why it cannot be made restartable?

Thank your for any insight.

 - Godmar

--
please cc: me on any replies.