RE: Regression in reading /proc/stat in the newer kernels withlarge SMP and NUMA configurations

From: Oberman, Laurence (HAS GSE)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2011 - 13:03:15 EST

Hi Eric,

Just FYI, the same behavior is seen on multiple hardware platforms so it is definitely kernel changes. The earlier kernel on the DL785 platform was returning reads within 60 microseconds.
I have measured it on multiple platforms.

In this case we have a DL980 with HT enabled so you will see 128 CPUS. If I shut off HT, it does not make a difference.

[root@linuxbeast boot]# dmesg | grep nr_cpu_ids
NR_CPUS:4096 nr_cpumask_bits:128 nr_cpu_ids:128 nr_node_ids:8