Possible bug in via-velocity on 3.0+

From: n00bsys0p
Date: Tue Oct 18 2011 - 12:01:36 EST

Hi,

I've been trying to get a custom 3.0 kernel to boot via PXE on a VIA EPIA EN15000G, and have run into a problem where once the thin client starts to load the kernel, the entire screen turns into a mosaic of random colours and characters.

I've tested this serving a 2.6.35.8 kernel (configured identically to the 3.0) to the thin client where the master and client are both fitted with EPIA EN1500G, and it works perfectly. Also, I tried swapping the master's motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-D525TUD (Realtek LAN chip), and it succeeded in serving the 3.0 kernel to an EN15000G without a fault.

In all test cases, the master was using a 3.0 kernel.

Through this testing, I surmise that it is something to do with the LAN driver which is used, as this is the only thing I can see to have changed between the two running systems. Could it be accidentally overwriting the video RAM or something along those lines?

Here's a link to a photo of what the screen looks like when it goes wrong: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sXFP41oaF9U/TpyMFg89CqI/AAAAAAAAA-I/PBrltIm0cB4/s720/PXEFail.jpg

Anyway, hope there's someone here who knows what might be happening here!

Alex