Re: checkpatch WARNING: patch prefix 'b' exists, appears to be a-p0 patch

From: Jonathan Cameron
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 07:04:33 EST

On 10/19/11 11:26, Wolfram Sang wrote:

>> Sorry, I missed one detail. This warning is firing on every patch including
>> any I pull off mailing lists or produce with git format-patch
>
> So, I assume you have a directory named 'b' in the kernel-root-dir?
File, but good call. Thanks. All back to normal now.
I'll have to be more creative with naming my random temporary diff files ;)
(or remember to delete them afterwards).

> The p1-detection is heuristic and can always be fooled, so I don't think
> extending the logic will help. If too many users think it is annoying,
> it may be better to remove it. I do think, however, that it might help
> users sending in their first patches, so I'd prefer to keep it.
> Experienced users have the option to use something like "--ignore
> PATCH_PREFIX" in their .checkpatch.conf. I vote for improving the error
> message but won't oppose a removal if that is what is wanted.

Maybe something as simple as a comment in the checkpatch source
to say that such a file / directory can cause false positives?

Thanks again

Jonathan