Re: Multi-partition block layer behaviour

From: Tiju Jacob
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 06:10:42 EST

>> 1. When an I/O request is made to the filesystem, process 'A' acquires
>> a mutex FS lock and a mutex block driver lock.
>>
>> 2. Process 'B' tries to acquire the mutex FS lock, which is not
>> available. Hence, it goes to sleep. Due to the new plugging mechanism,
>> before going to sleep, shcedule() is invoked which disables preemption
>> and the context becomes atomic. In schedule(), the newly added
>> blk_flush_plug_list() is invoked which unplugs the block driver.
>>
>> 3) During unplug operation the block driver tries to acquire the mutex
>> lock which fails, because the lock was held by process 'A'. Previous
>> invocation of scheudle() in step 2 has already made the context as
>> atomic, hence the error "Schedule while atomic" occured.
> if blk_flush_plug_list() is called in schedule(), it will use
> blk_run_queue_async
> to unplug the queue. This runs in a workqueue. So how could this happen?

The call stack goes as follows:

>From schedule() it calls blk_schedule_flush_plug() and
blk_flush_plug_list() gets invoked.

In blk_flush_plug_list() queue_unplugged() does not get invoked. Hence
blk_run_queue_async is not called.
Instead __elv_add_request() is invoked with ELEVATOR_INSERT_SORT_MERGE
flag and the flag gets reassigned to ELEVATOR_INSERT_BACK.

In ELEVATOR_INSERT_BACK, __blk_run_queue() gets invoked and calls request_fn().

Thanks,
--TJ