Re: Vanilla-Kernel 3 - page allocation failure

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 16:26:10 EST

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Philipp Herz - Profihost AG wrote:

> we have recompiled the kernel of one machine with CONFIG_SLUB instead of
> CONFIG_SLAB, but it is showing similar message.
>
> Now it's showing failure at "order:5, mode:0x4020".
>
> Call trace can be found at:
> * http://pastebin.com/uGJiwvG1
>
> Comparing kernel 2.6.32 (mm/page_alloc.c) there seams to be the same way of
> dealing with page allocation.
>
> Do you have an idea why these (warning) messages do never appear running
> 2.6.32?

Do you have CONFIG_COMPACTION enabled? Perhaps this is a difference in
the deprecation of lumpy reclaim between 2.6.35 and 2.6.38 and
defragmentation being done by memory compaction instead.

It won't be triggered synchronously in this context since it's a
GFP_ATOMIC allocation, which is why it emits a page allocation failure in
the first place, but it will show whether defragmentation is the issue or
you're just simply low on memory.