Re: Possible bug in via-velocity on 3.0+

From: n00b
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 17:51:48 EST

On 26/10/11 19:32, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:47 AM, n00b<n00b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 19/10/11 16:14, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 4:14 AM, n00b<n00b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 18/10/11 17:15, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:01 AM, n00bsys0p<n00b@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi,

I've been trying to get a custom 3.0 kernel to boot via PXE on a VIA
EPIA
EN15000G, and have run into a problem where once the thin client starts
load the kernel, the entire screen turns into a mosaic of random
colours
and
characters.

I've tested this serving a 2.6.35.8 kernel (configured identically to
the
3.0) to the thin client where the master and client are both fitted
with
EPIA EN1500G, and it works perfectly. Also, I tried swapping the
master's
motherboard to a Gigabyte GA-D525TUD (Realtek LAN chip), and it
succeeded
in
serving the 3.0 kernel to an EN15000G without a fault.

In all test cases, the master was using a 3.0 kernel.

Through this testing, I surmise that it is something to do with the LAN
driver which is used, as this is the only thing I can see to have
changed
between the two running systems. Could it be accidentally overwriting
the
video RAM or something along those lines?

Here's a link to a photo of what the screen looks like when it goes
wrong:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sXFP41oaF9U/TpyMFg89CqI/AAAAAAAAA-I/PBrltIm0cB4/s720/PXEFail.jpg
Let me see if I understand this correctly:

- The problem is on the EN15000G client.
- It occurs when the client boots 3.0 from a EN1500G server, but not
when booting the same 3.0 kernel image from a GA-D525TUD server.
- It doesn't occur when booting 2.6.35.8 from a EN1500G server.
- The client boots successfully and is usable, i.e., the only
problem is the temporary garbage on the screen during boot.

It would be useful to see the complete dmesg log from 2.6.35.8 on the
client. If 3.0 actually does boot on the client, a dmesg log from 3.0
would also be useful. There might be a clue if we can compare them.

Bjorn
In answer:
- Yes, the problem is a client machine with an EN15000G board
- Correct, the 3.0 kernel image booted the client using a GA-D525TUD
server, but not when using an EN15000G
- Correct again, the 2.6.35.8 image booted correctly from an EN15000G
server
- Not correct. The problem is permanent when it occurs. The client
machine
has been left for hours, and all that is visible is the garbage on
screen.
Good. That's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure.

I'm not sure if it was a one-off, but I can't appear to get it to serve
the
3.0 kernel from the Gigabyte motherboard now. Exactly the same thing is
happening as with the EN15000G (garbage mosaic).
Also good, that's what I would expect. It would be very strange if
the same bits worked differently, depending on what server they came
from.

I've attached the dmesg log from the client for the 2.6.35.8 kernel. If I
manage to get the 3.0 kernel to boot again, I'll send over the dmesg log
for
that.
That makes this a regression between 2.6.35.8 and 3.0. The easiest
(though tedious) way to find the problem is to bisect between those
versions (http://www.landley.net/writing/git-bisect-howto.html).

I don't see many interesting via-velocity changes since 2.6.35. I'd
suspect some sort of video mode problem, given the screen issue.
Maybe you could learn something by turning off vesafb and the
bootsplash stuff.

Bjorn
Ok, thanks. I'll try that, and see where I get. I'll recompile the kernel
without bootsplash, and see if I
see any different behaviour.

I'll let you know where I get, should I find anything useful out.
Any news?

Not yet I'm afraid. It's a project I'm involved in with my job, and the office have decided to go with booting the 2.6.35.8 kernel on the client, as it doesn't need any of the extra features which the 3.0 kernel provides. I will try and put some time into the investigation next week.