Re: Vanilla-Kernel 3 - page allocation failure

From: Philipp Herz - Profihost AG
Date: Thu Oct 27 2011 - 03:13:07 EST

Am 26.10.2011 22:26, schrieb David Rientjes:
On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Philipp Herz - Profihost AG wrote:

we have recompiled the kernel of one machine with CONFIG_SLUB instead of
CONFIG_SLAB, but it is showing similar message.

Now it's showing failure at "order:5, mode:0x4020".

Call trace can be found at:
* http://pastebin.com/uGJiwvG1

Comparing kernel 2.6.32 (mm/page_alloc.c) there seams to be the same way of
dealing with page allocation.

Do you have an idea why these (warning) messages do never appear running
2.6.32?

Do you have CONFIG_COMPACTION enabled? Perhaps this is a difference in
the deprecation of lumpy reclaim between 2.6.35 and 2.6.38 and
defragmentation being done by memory compaction instead.
Yes CONFIG_COMPACTION is enabled as a dependency for TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE which is different to the configs before.

It won't be triggered synchronously in this context since it's a
GFP_ATOMIC allocation, which is why it emits a page allocation failure in
the first place, but it will show whether defragmentation is the issue or
you're just simply low on memory.
Do you mean that "memory compaction" should be turned off again?

How can I see the difference between "deframentation issue" and "low memory"? I did not get this point.