Re: [git patches] libata updates, GPG signed (but see admin notes)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Nov 01 2011 - 13:16:04 EST

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Tony Luck <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've had my gmail account subscribed to LKML since the dawn of gmail.
>
> It used to be snappy for searches - but it got slower as my mailbox
> filled (a few months ago I had to throw out the oldest couple of years of
> LKML because I was getting close to the gmail limit - I'm back up to
> 86% again now, so getting close to another purge).
>
> So - don't get too used to speed in gmail.

The LKML thing is why I really love how gmail works. LKML just goes
into the black hole that is the gmail thing, and I never see it. But
then, when I get cc'd about something in the middle of a thread when a
question comes up - I just magically see the whole thread without
having to look around in other folders or anything like that.

I'm sure 'notmuch' etc does that too, but pine sure never did. If I
made my filters automatically move lkml posts to my lkml folder, by
the time I got cc'd, I had to go back to that folder to see the
history of the thread.

But yeah, I only have about two years of LKML. I'll happily throw out
old lkml email when it gets to be painfully slow to search, though. I
used to have to do lkml folder cleanups every few months even when I
had my email *locally* because it just got too painful with big
folders, so the gmail approach already not only works much better, but
if I have to clean things up every few years, that's much less than I
used to have to do anyway.

Linus