Re: Latency writing to an mlocked ext4 mapping

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Nov 01 2011 - 19:03:24 EST

On Mon 31-10-11 16:14:47, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Windows seems to do pretty well at this, and I think it should be fixable on
> >> Linux too.  "All" that needs to be done is to remove the pte_wrprotect from
> >> page_mkclean_one.  The fallout from that might be unpleasant, though, but
> >> it would probably speed up a number of workloads.
> >  Well, but Linux's mm pretty much depends the pte_wrprotect() so that's
> > unlikely to go away in a forseeable future. The reason is that we need to
> > reliably account the number of dirty pages so that we can throttle
> > processes that dirty too much of memory and also protect agaist system
> > going into out-of-memory problems when too many pages would be dirty (and
> > thus hard to reclaim). Thus we create clean pages as write-protected, when
> > they are first written to, we account them as dirtied and unprotect them.
> > When pages are cleaned by writeback, we decrement number of dirty pages
> > accordingly and write-protect them again.
>
> What about skipping pte_wrprotect for mlocked pages and continuing to
> account them dirty even if they're actually clean? This should be a
> straightforward patch except for the effect on stable pages for
> writeback. (It would also have unfortunate side effects on
> ctime/mtime without my other patch to rearrange that code.)
Well, doing proper dirty accounting would be a mess (you'd have to
unaccount dirty pages during munlock etc.) and I'm not sure what all would
break when page writes would not be coupled with page faults. So I don't
think it's really worth it.

Avoiding IO during a minor fault would be a decent thing which might be
worth pursuing. As you properly noted "stable pages during writeback"
requirement is one obstacle which won't be that trivial to avoid though...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR