Re: [GIT PULL] mm: frontswap (for 3.2 window)

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Nov 02 2011 - 16:52:43 EST

From: Andrea Arcangeli [mailto:aarcange@xxxxxxxxxx]

real work to do instead and (2) that vmexit/vmenter is horribly

Sure the CPU has another 1000 VM to schedule. This is like saying
virtio-blk isn't needed on desktop virt becauase the desktop isn't
doing much I/O. Absurd argument, there are another 1000 desktops doing
I/O at the same time of course.

But this is truly different, I think at least for the most common
cases, because the guest is essentially out of physical memory if it
is swapping. And the vmexit/vmenter (I assume, I don't really
know KVM) gives the KVM scheduler the opportunity to schedule
another of those 1000 VMs if it wishes.

I believe the problem Andrea is trying to point out here is
that the proposed API cannot handle a batch of pages to be
pushed into frontswap/cleancache at one time.

Even if the current back-end implementations are synchronous
and can only do one page at a time, I believe it would still
be a good idea to have the API able to handle a vector with
a bunch of pages all at once.

That way we can optimize the back-ends as required, at some
later point in time.

If enough people start using tmem, such bottlenecks will show
up at some point :)