Re: Hardware running hot and without the fan

From: Guenter Roeck
Date: Thu Nov 03 2011 - 11:33:46 EST

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 11:19 -0400, Lars NoodÃn wrote:
> On 11/03/2011 05:06 PM, Guenter Roeck wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 10:25 -0400, Lars NoodÃn wrote:
> [snip]
> >> The one machine reports one fan and the other two fans. I haven't found
> >> a way to set the fan speed manually. The output from sensors
> >> is
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/44
> >> and here
> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/881593/comments/47
> >
> > Do the fans actually turn, or is the output bogus ?
>
> The output is bogus, the fans are not turning. On #47 there above, I
> think the temperatures might be inaccurate, too. Since they'll go up
> and down as much as 8 degrees in a few seconds.

Maybe 2000 really reflects 0. Not sure about the temperatures - I think
especially the CPU temperature can change pretty fast. Or maybe the
sensors are just not very accurate.

> > You should be able to set the fan speed by writing into the fanX_input
> > and/or fanX_output sysfs attributes. You find those
> > in /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device (assuming there is only one hwmon
> > device).
>
> I can set the fan speed manually. e.g.:
>
> echo 3500 > /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0/device/fan1_output
>
> That helps some.

If you can do that, you should be able to set up fancontrol to
automatically control fan speed based on system temperatures.

There is another sysfs attribute - fanX_manual. I don't find driver
documentation, so I have no idea what it is doing. The name indicates
that it might set manual vs. automatic fan control. What is it set to in
your system ? From the code, looks like it should be 0 or 1. Try to
toggle it and see what happens - after all, it can not get worse ;).

Guenter