Re: virtio-pci new configuration proposal

From: Sasha Levin
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 10:54:56 EST

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 16:23 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:53:24PM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:

> > > No. Just put the field at offset 24 from the offset specified
> > > by VIRTIO_PCI_CAP_COMMON_CFG.
> >
> > Two questions here:
> >
> > - What about backwards compatibility? How would the config space look
> > when we're not using the new layout?
>
> Exactly as it does now. You don't get to tweak alignment then.
>
> > - How does it work with 64 bit features which are also located there?
>
> Basically each field gets an offset. E.g.
> 24 - features
> 28 - queue alignment

> > > It's actually pretty inefficient - there's an overhead of 3 bytes for
> > > each vendor specific option.
> >
> > It's efficient because while you pay a small price for each optional
> > option it also means that that option is optional and won't clutter the
> > config space if it's not really in use.
>
> I guess my assumption is that most options will be in use,
> not discarded dead-ends.

I don't know about that. 64 bit features would be pretty rare for now -
and I don't think that setting the alignment will be also enabled by
default.

I think that we're looking at it differently because I assume that any
feature we add at this point would be optional and used only in specific
scenarios, while you think that everything added will be used most of
the time.

--

Sasha.