Re: [RFC/GIT PULL] Linux KVM tool for v3.2

From: Jan Kiszka
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 12:42:29 EST

On 2011-11-04 17:13, Joerg Roedel wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 03:42:22PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 2011-11-04 14:32, Pekka Enberg wrote:
>>> I know you don't see the benefits of integrated code base but I as a
>>> developer do.
>>
>> IIRC, this discussion still lacks striking, concrete examples from the
>> KVM tool vs. QEMU development processes.
>
> How does it matter? KVM tool does not compete with QEMU.

I'm still under the impression that it will start to compete for the
reference implementation of KVM changes. I might see ghosts, but I
surely do not want to see this happen for many reasons.

> The use cases for both programs are different.

Really?

> KVM tool is a helper for kernel
> developers during development

Well, 'make' is a helper for kernel development as well...

> and additionally good example code on how
> to use the KVM kernel interface (because it focuses on KVM only while
> QEMU is much more than a KVM userspace).

[ If this is architecturally good or bad would be worth a separate
discussion. ]

> Therefore it makes sense for KVM tool to be developed in the kernel tree
> while it doesn't make sense for QEMU.

And I disagree regarding KVM tool based on the arguments brought forward
so far.

Jan