Re: Fwd: Kernel Power management ?? turning off used devices thatare in use.

From: hagar
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 20:08:04 EST

On 04/11/11 23:24, Joel Schopp wrote:

I need to be able to either switch off cpu hotpluging - or at least prevent hotplugging certain cpu's

there should really be a mincpu's option or better a nohotplug="0,1,2,5,7,etc" option.

It would appear that cpu1 is the default cpu for those interrupts - and they are not being transferred to cpu0 properly.

The proper way to fix this is to find why the interrupts are not being transferred and fix that. Forcing cpus to not be hotpluggable is just hiding the problem.

But it does allow the computer to become usable.
At the moment it is extremely borderline.
So much so that I would rather a non smp kernel and run off one cpu.

I have difficulty keeping the network up.
I have to run a cron job every minute to check the network and restart it if necessary.
Watching an hour long streaming video is impossible without moving the usb mouse constantly.

I am even considering a change of OS due to this problem.
I have tried the kernel parameters noapic nosmp maxcpus acpi=off possible_cpus=2 etc - with no success

I did find a flaw in "possible_cpus=0" - this prevents the kernel booting (no cpus available )
This option should be set to a minimum of 1

We allow users to shoot themselves in the foot if they do silly things. This is a design decision.

Quite amusing.