Re: [F.A.Q.] perf ABI backwards and forwards compatibility

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Tue Nov 08 2011 - 05:41:44 EST

On Nov 8, 2011, at 5:22 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> We do even more than that, the perf ABI is fully backwards *and*
> forwards compatible: you can run older perf on newer ABIs and newer
> perf on older ABIs.

It's great to hear that! But in that case, there's an experiment we can't really run, which is if perf had been developed in a separate tree, would it have been just as successful?

My belief is that perf was successful because *you* and the other perf developers were competent developers, and who got things right. Not because it was inside the kernel tree. You've argued that things were much better because it was inside the tree, but that's not actually something we can put to a scientific repeatable experiment.

I will observe that some of the things that caused me to be come enraged by system tap (such as the fact that I simply couldn't even build the damned thing on a non-Red Hat compilation environment, would not have been solved by moving Systemtap into the kernel git tree --- at least not without moving a large number of its external dependencies into the kernel tree as well, such as the elf library, et. al.) So there is a whole class of problems that were seen in previous tooling systems that were not caused by the fact that they were separate from the kernel, but that they weren't being developed by the kernel developers, so they didn't understand how to make the tool work well for kernel developers.

If we had gone back in time, and had the same set of perf developers working in an external tree, and Systemtap and/or Oprofile had been developed in the kernel tree, would it really have made that much difference? Sure, Linus and other kernel developers would have yelled at the Systemtap and Oprofile folks more, but I haven't seen that much evidence that they listened to us when they were outside of the kernel tree, and it's not obvious they would have listened with the code being inside the kernel tree.

My claim is that is that outcome wouldn't have been all that different, and that's because the difference was *you*, Ingo Molnar, as a good engineer, would have designed a good backwards compatible ABI whether the code was inside or outside of the kernel, and you would have insisted on good taste and usefulness to kernel programmers whether perf was in our out of the kernel, and you would have insisted on kernel coding guidelines and regular release cycles, even if perf was outside of the kernel. As Linus sometimes like to say, in many cases it's more about the _people_.

Regards,

-- Ted