Re: long sleep_on_page delays writing to slow storage

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Wed Nov 09 2011 - 19:53:14 EST

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 07:06:46PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 05:52:01PM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > -#define alloc_pages_vma(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node) \
> > - alloc_pages(gfp_mask, order)
> > +#define alloc_pages_vma(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node, drop_mmapsem) \
> > + ({ \
> > + if (drop_mmapsem) \
> > + up_read(&vma->vm_mm->mmap_sem); \
> > + alloc_pages(gfp_mask, order); \
> > + })
>
> I wouldn't change alloc_pages_vma. I think it's better to add and have
> that called only by khugepaged:
>
> alloc_pages_vma_up_read(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node)
> {
> __alloc_pages_vma(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node, true);
> }
>
> alloc_pages_vma(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node)
> {
> __alloc_pages_vma(gfp_mask, order, vma, addr, node, false);
> }

Yeah it would. I thought that myself after adjusting the
alloc_pages_vma() function but hadn't gone back to it. The "bodge" was
only written earlier.

> I wonder if a change like this would be enough?
>
> sync_migration = !(gfp_mask & __GFP_NO_KSWAPD);

Sure it does and in fact this is patch 1 of 2 and it reduced all the
THP related stalls for me. The number of THPs were reduced though
because khugepaged was no longer using sync compaction hence patch
2 which altered alloc_pages_vma. This was testing on CONFIG_NUMA so
testing for PF_KTHREAD would be insufficient as khugepaged would call
sync compaction with the mmap_sem held causing indirect stalls.

> But even if hidden in a new function, the main downside overall is the
> fact we'll pass one more var through the stack of fast paths.

Unfortunate but the alternative is not allowing khugepaged to use sync
compaction. Are you ok with that? The number of THPs in use was reduced
but it also was during a somewhat unrealistic stress test so it might
not matter.

> Johannes I recall you reported this too and Mel suggested the above
> change, did it help in the end?
>
> Your change in khugepaged context makes perfect sense anyway, just we
> should be sure it's really needed before adding more variables in fast
> path I think.

It's not really needed to avoid stalls - just !(gfp_mask &
__GFP_NO_KSWAPD) is enough for that. It's only needed if we want
khugepaged to continue using sync compaction without stalling processes
due to holding mmap_sem.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs