Re: How to remove 2000+ lines from 400+ defconfig files?

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Tue Nov 15 2011 - 10:38:11 EST

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 14:14 +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> I am fine taking those through trivial.git and handling the fallout.

Great.

> The only ones I'd have objections to taking immediately are those which are
> actually still referenced somewhere in the code.
> For those, either taking them through appropriate maintainers, or having
> their Acked-by would be required.

I don't mind. That shouldn't be a lot of extra work for me.

But, I do have a naive question: are defconfigs meant to be drop in
replacements for .config files or is one supposed to first feed them to
the config tools to generate an up to date .config? Since, if one is
supposed to feed them to the config tools first it doesn't matter
whether the (outdated) macros are still used somewhere in the code,
doesn't it? The config tools will simply drop all macros they can't
match with Kconfig symbols. (Or don't they? Michal?)

Paul Bolle