Re: [RFC] Introduce CAP_CHECKPOINT capability and filter map_files/access

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 11:25:21 EST

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 09:41:05AM -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting Cyrill Gorcunov (gorcunov@xxxxxxxxx):
> > The goal idea of checkpoint/restore is to provide this feature not
> > for admins only but regular users as well. Still some operations
> > are privileged -- such as accessing /proc/$pid/map_files.
> >
> > So instead of requiring anyone who has a will to checkpoint/restore
> > processes CAP_SYS_ADMIN privileges, it might (?) be worth to bring a way
> > less powerful CAP_CHECKPOINT capability.
> >
> > The following permissions for CAP_CHECKPOINT should be granted
> > - read/write /proc/$pid/map_files/
>
> read/write to all map files, or only pids he owns?

There is lock_trace() call which should prevent from accessing non-own
map_files (if only CAP_SYS_PTRACE is not granted).

> I think a CAP_CHECKPOINT may make sense, but not if includes read/write
> to all map files. That's too much power, and you may as well just hand
> him everything. But, CAP_CHECKPOINT shouldn't need to include that. You
> should be able to get that for instance by being the creator of the user
> namespace being checkpointed. If you really want to checkpoint/restart
> anything on the system, then you should be required to be root. Trying
> to easily hand that power to an unprivileged user is more dangerous imo.
>
> > - (not yet merged) clone-with-specified-pid, might be changed to last_pid+clone setup
> > - (not yet published/stabilized) prctls calls to tune up vDSO and elements
> > of mm_struct such as mm->start_code, mm->end_code, mm->start_data and etc
> >
> > I would like to gather people opinions on such approach as a general.
> > _ANY_ comments are highly appreciated. Would it worth it or not (since
> > CAPs space is pretty limited one).
>
> It's hard to have a specific dialogue without the full c/r patchset and
> idea of the architecture of the exploiters (ie c/r and maybe
> debuggers)

The patches for kernel (which needed at moment) are placed at
http://goo.gl/DwYHx , I didn't pushed them for reivew yet since
they are not well stable and need some rework, so you could take
a look if you're interested. Feedback is appreciated as always,
but I warned you, they are not yet for inclusion ;)

> Sorry, the security implications of the in-kernel c/r syscalls were
> pretty simple and clear to me, but those of the new approach are not.
>
> -serge

Thanks a lot for taking a view, Serge!

Cyrill