Re: [patch] hugetlb: remove dummy definitions of HPAGE_MASK andHPAGE_SIZE

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Nov 17 2011 - 18:44:54 EST

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > So, just remove the dummy and dangerous definitions since they are no
> > longer needed and reveals the correct dependencies. Tested on
> > architectures using the definitions with allyesconfig: x86 (even with
> > thp), hppa, mips, powerpc, s390, sh3, sh4, sparc, and sparc64, and
> > with defconfig on ia64.
>
> How could arch/mips/mm/tlb-r4k.c:local_flush_tlb_range() compile OK
> with this change?

This was tested on Linus' tree, not on Ralf's linux-next tree. All uses
of HPAGE_* are protected by CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE as it appropriately should
be in Linus' tree in that file.

> What that function is doing looks reasonable to me. Why fill the poor
> thing with an ifdef mess?
>
> otoh, catching mistakes is good too. Doing it at runtime as David
> proposes is OK.

Nobody else needs it other than Ralf's pending change, and you're
suggesting we need them in a generic header file when any sane arch that
uses hugepages (all of them, in the current tree) declares these
themselves in arch/*/include/asm/page.h where it's supposed to be done?

Why on earth do we have CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE for at all, then? To catch
code that's operating on hugepages when our kernel doesn't support it.
I'd much rather break the build than get a runtime BUG() because we want
to avoid an #ifdef or actually write well-written code like every other
arch has! Panicking the code to find errors like this is just insanity.