Re: [patch for-3.2-rc3] cpusets: stall when updating mems_allowedfor mempolicy or disjoint nodemask

From: Miao Xie
Date: Fri Nov 18 2011 - 04:53:51 EST

On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 13:33:14 -0800 (pst), David Rientjes wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2011, Miao Xie wrote:
>
>> Oh~, David
>>
>> I find these is another problem, please take account of the following case:
>>
>> 2-3 -> 1-2 -> 0-1
>>
>> the user change mems_allowed twice continuously, the task may see the empty
>> mems_allowed.
>>
>> So, it is still dangerous.
>>

> With this patch, we're protected by task_lock(tsk) to determine whether we
> want to take the exception, i.e. whether need_loop is false, and the
> setting of tsk->mems_allowed. So this would see the nodemask change at
> the individual steps from 2-3 -> 1-2 -> 0-1, not some inconsistent state
> in between or directly from 2-3 -> 0-1. The only time we don't hold
> task_lock(tsk) to change tsk->mems_allowed is when tsk == current and in
> that case we're not concerned about intermediate reads to its own nodemask
> while storing to a mask where MAX_NUMNODES > BITS_PER_LONG.
>
> Thus, there's no problem here with regard to such behavior if we exclude
> mempolicies, which this patch does.

No.
When the task does memory allocation, it access its mems_allowed without
task_lock(tsk), and it may be blocked after it check 0-1 bits. And then, the
user changes mems_allowed twice continuously(2-3(initial state) -> 1-2 -> 0-1),
After that, the task is woke up and it see the empty mems_allowed.