Re: linux-next: build warning after merge of the Linus' tree

From: Guennadi Liakhovetski
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 03:25:25 EST

Hi Stephen

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Building Linus' tree today linux-next (x86_64_allmodconfig)
> produced quite a few of these warnings:
>
> include/media/soc_camera.h: In function 'soc_camera_i2c_to_vdev':
> include/media/soc_camera.h:257:34: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
>
> This was introduced by commit 2f0babb7e432 ("[media] V4L: soc-camera:
> make (almost) all client drivers re-usable outside of the framework").
>
> This warning is caused by the "grp_id" member of "struct v4l2_subdev" -
> which is a u32 - being cast to a pointer. That pointer is dereferenced,
> so I have no idea how that is supposed to work on any 64 bit platform.

soc-camera atm supports 7 platforms (if I haven't forgotten anyone), none
of them is 64-bit. But you're right, it shall compile cleanly on 64 bits
too, I'm working on a patch. Unfortunately, while working on it I came
across other regressions, that blocked my tests... But a solution will be
found.

Thanks
Guennadi
---