Re: CPU hyperthreading turned on after soft power-cycle

From: Jiri Polach
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 08:27:30 EST

Finally! After another 50+ compilations a have it! It took some time as
first I had to find a reason why some revisions did not boot (almost 2/3
were unbootable and the first bad commit was among them). Having this
solved I have been able to bisect without "skipping". The result is
surprising (at least for me) - believe it or not, the first bad commit
is 6610e089 "RTC: Rework RTC code to use timerqueue for events" from
John Stultz (I am sending him a copy of this message).

I would never expect this would be a problem, but my understanding of
this commit is very limited, so I am certainly missing the point.
However, I have tried to compile 2.6.38 (which was "bad") with "Real
Time Clock" configuration option turned off and it behaves "normally"
then (= is "good").

Huh. That's *very* odd. Is your system doing anything in-particular
with the RTC? I don't have a clue right off, so probably the next step

Yes, it is very odd. The system does not do anything special with RTC.
It is a diskless computational workstation.

is doing a bit of instrumentation to try to figure out where exactly we
trigger the behavior. Could you checkout commit 6610e089 and apply the
patch below to see if we can't narrow it down?

With the patch applied the system does not show the strange behavior (=
is "good").

Could you also send your .config to me?

Sure. It is attached. I have found that if I turn CONFIG_RTC_DRV_CMOS
off, the system behaves normally (= is "good") too.

Yea. My rough guess is that the BIOS is somehow sensitive to how the
CMOS RTC is touched.

Does disabling CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC change the behavior?

But how do I do it? :-)

I have not found a way to disable it in "menuconfig". If I comment it out manually in .config, it is automatically set back to "y" as soon as compilation starts ...

Thanks,

Jiri