Re: [patch] hugetlb: remove dummy definitions of HPAGE_MASK and HPAGE_SIZE

From: David Daney
Date: Mon Nov 21 2011 - 18:23:47 EST

On 11/21/2011 02:43 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM, David Daney<ddaney.cavm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This whole comment strikes me as somewhat dishonest, as at the time David
Rientjes wrote it, he knew that there were dependencies on these symbols in
the linux-next tree.

Now we can add these:
+#define HPAGE_SHIFT ({ BUG(); 0; })
+#define HPAGE_SIZE ({ BUG(); 0; })
+#define HPAGE_MASK ({ BUG(); 0; })

Hell no.

We don't do run-time BUG() things. No way, no how.

If that #define cannot be used, then it damn well shouldn't be defined at all.

David's patch is clearly the right thing to do. Don't try to send me
the above kind of insane crap.

Ok Linus, for you I would recommend against running this git command on your tree:

git grep -E '#define.+BUG\(\);'

It's not like there isn't precedence.

David Daney