Re: [GIT PULL] ARM: amba: Enable module alias autogeneration forAMBA drivers

From: Dave Martin
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 07:08:06 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:56:32PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> > I have Acks on some of the driver patches and no comments on the
> > rest. I've been circulating these for some time, so if you're
> > happy to pull those driver patches via your tree, please go ahead.
>
> Sure I have no problem with the nomadik-rng.c, (so please have my
> Acked-by: -- sorry for not noting it earlier) but I think this

thanks

> file2alias thing needs a serious rework to split each bus in a
> different file, using ELF sections like we do elsewhere.
>
> I posted a patch last week but I got no comment at all. Maybe this
> is the time to ask for comments? I can rebase and repost if needed.
>
> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/125 (0/2: description of the work)
> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/126 (1/2: turn the if plethora to table lookup)
> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/127 (2/2: partial split to type-specific files).

Splitting this up doesn't look like a silly idea -- I thought it was
unfortunate to have to patch a core file just to add a bus type.

I guess the question is how many new buses we get over time. If they
only get added gradually, people might not be too concerned. Of course,
this is one of those maintenance issues which can only get worse as time
goes on.

Cheers
---Dave