Re: [GIT PULL] ARM: amba: Enable module alias autogeneration forAMBA drivers

From: Dave Martin
Date: Tue Nov 22 2011 - 13:34:14 EST

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 04:19:42PM +0100, Alessandro Rubini wrote:
> >> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/125 (0/2: description of the work)
> >> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/126 (1/2: turn the if plethora to table lookup)
> >> lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/4/127 (2/2: partial split to type-specific files).
> >
> > Splitting this up doesn't look like a silly idea -- I thought it was
> > unfortunate to have to patch a core file just to add a bus type.
> >
> > I guess the question is how many new buses we get over time.
>
> Well, CERN will have 2 in a short time. And I'm sure the bus concept
> is so good that a number of them exists as external patches. Being
> forced to patch a core file is not good, with conflicts that accumulate
> over time.
>
> I'd better be able to drop in my own file and add a kconfig-aware line
> in Makefile. I think the implementation is straightforward. Who should
> I send it to?

I'm afraid I can't help there -- I don't often dabble in core kernel stuff.

I didn't receive any response on my patches to those files, so it's possible
I was CC'ing the wrong people. I did do my best dith git blame/log,
get_maintainer.pl and the rest and posted to lkml a couple of times though.

If I'm reading MAINTAINERS correctly, Michal Marek might be the default
maintainer for stuff in scripts/ not owned by other people... the way that
is described is not understood by get_maintainer.pl, it appears.

Marek, are you the correct person for scripts/mod/file2alias.c and related
stuff?

Cheers
---Dave