Re: [Regression, 3.2-rc1] ath9k broken on AR928X (was: Re: Linux3.2-rc3 - just in time for Thanksgiving)

From: Adrian Chadd
Date: Sat Nov 26 2011 - 16:55:16 EST

On 27 November 2011 05:32, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Tomorrow I'll try to identify the offending commits.
>
> Well, it took more time than I had hoped. :-(
>
> Bisection turns up:
>
> commit 2577c6e8f2320f1d2f09be122efef5b9118efee4
> Author: Senthil Balasubramanian <senthilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Tue Sep 13 22:38:18 2011 +0530
>
>    ath9k_hw: Add support for AR946/8x chipsets.
>
>    This patch adds support for AR946/8x chipets.

Oh god. That's going to be fun to figure out :)

> which I think is wrong for at lest two reasons.  Not that I understand
> what it actually does to the driver, but first, it does much more than the
> changelog says and, second, it is practically impossible to revert
> because of the number of commits on top depending on it.  Quite frankly,
> it is about to make it to my list of examples of how things should _not_ be
> done in the kernel.
>
> The commit immediately preceding it doesn't show any symptoms of failure, so
> I'm quite convinced this one really introduced the problem for me.
>
> The chip in the affected box is (according to "lspci -v"):

Can you please find out what the actual PCI device id is? That way I
can help you (hopefully) isolate which bits of that change would cause
your regression.

That commit almost exclusively touches the AR93xx chipset support, so
I can't (easily) see how this would break support for the AR928x NICs.

Adrian