Re: [RFC] cgroups: freezer -- Allow to attach a task to a frozencgroup

From: Cyrill Gorcunov
Date: Mon Nov 28 2011 - 10:01:00 EST

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 06:03:56PM +0400, Andrew Vagin wrote:

> > > I think EBUSY is not a good idea in this place. We can do something
> > > like double_rq_lock.
> > >

> > Could you please elaborate? freezers are guarded with spinlocks so I think
> > we should stick with them instead of poking rq (or whatever) directly.
>
> It's misunderstanding. I want to say that we can avoid dead lock if we
> will take a lock with a smaller address at first.
>
> if (&freezer->lock > &old_freezer->lock) {
> spin_lock_irq(&old_freezer->lock)
> spin_lock_irq(&freezer->lock);
> } else {
> spin_lock_irq(&freezer->lock);
> spin_lock_irq(&old_freezer->lock)
> }

This is not applicable here as far as I see. It works for rq because of
per-cpu address allocation, but not for freezers which are allocated via
kzalloc. The second try_lock (note I've overdid with irq disabling, plain
spin_trylock would be enough) is not for escaping deadlock but rather for
not waiting much if target freezer is handling state transition for all
task it has.

I think the better approach would to make this code even less lock contended,
ie something like

local_irq_disable
spin_trylock(new_freezer)
spin_trylock(old_freezer)
local_irq_enable

so if both freezers are not handling anything we attach the task then.
Or I miss something obvious?

> > > It's strange. A rollback can't fail. We have three situations:
> > >
> > > frozen -> frozen
> > > thawed -> frozen
> > > frozen -> thawed
> > >
> > > In first and second cases cancel_request can't fail.
> > > In the third we have a problem, which may be solved if we will call
> > > thaw_process(task) from attach_task(), we can do that, because
> > > thaw_process() can't fail. It solves a problem, because
> > > freezer_cancel_attach will be executed for the first and second cases
> > > only.
> > >
> > > If my suggestion is correct, we can replace pr_warning on BUG_ON
> > >

> > Yes, the case which can fail is
> >
> > frozen->(can_attach_task)->thawed
> > (cgroup_task_migrate failure)
> > thawed->(cancel_attach)->frozen
> >
> > and we should never fail here since otherwise we would not have
> > a "frozen" state before. But I think placing BUG_ON is too severe
> > here, maybe WARN_ON_ONCE(1) would fit better?
>
> It's true, if a task is not being executed between thaw_process() and
> freeze_task().

Hmm... But what the problem it might be if a task get executed between
those stages even for some time?