Re: PCIe Hotplugging not working

From: Ludvig Petrossian
Date: Tue Nov 29 2011 - 10:26:30 EST

On 29/11/11 12:56, Anand Kanaginhal wrote:

> I am trying to get PCIe endpoint hot - plugging working
>
> The Set up is such that there is one endpoint (our custom device) connected to PCI switch PLX 8609 8 port 8 lane switch.
> 1. I have my driver module compiled, copied into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/
> 2. I run depmod and "modules.pcimap" also got updated with my module.
>
> However
> if I unplug and plug in the endpoint, my driver .probe and .remove functions
> are not being invoked. Is there something more to be done at the bus
> level to get the driver to hot plug ?
>
> I have tried various kernel version, Currently I am trying on 2.6.38.12 (UBUNTU flavor).
> First is there anything missing ? Also Please give me some pointers and debug direction.
>
> Thanks
> Anand
>
> --
Hi Anand

Did You enable the pcie hotplug driver (pciehp)
One can do it adding the next options to the /boot/grub/menu.lst
pciehp.pciehp_force=1 pciehp.pciehp_debug=1
(example of my menu.lst: kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-28-generic
root=UUID=330631e1-99a3-46d3-bf52-f4ca23c6b6ef ro pciehp.pciehp_force=1
pciehp.pciehp_debug=1 acpi=off noapic console=tty0 console=ttyS0 quiet )

so You can see the pciehp outputs in /var/log/kern.log

regards

Ludwig