Kernel tarballs missing from the kernel.org archive?

From: Matthijs Kooijman
Date: Fri Dec 02 2011 - 04:25:10 EST

(Please CC me, I'm not subscribed)

Hi folks,

since kernel.org is back online, I'm missing a number of kernel tarballs
on the mirrors. In particular, I'm interested in the 2.6.21.7.tar.gz
file, which seems to have disappeared from ftp.kernel.org [1]. The
linux-2.6.21.tar.gz still exists, but none of its subversions.

[1]: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.21.7.tar.gz

I've (indirectly) inquired about this with ftpadmin@xxxxxxxxxx (see
attached mail), but received no reply. It seems the broken links I
reported in the mail were fixed (by removing them altogether).

In any case, I'm wondering if the removal of these images is accidental
and they should be replaced, or if its intentional as part of the
kernel.org "rearchitecting" (for which I couldn't find any documentation
either).

I could imagine that the point releases of older versions getting
removed to clean up / save space, but it seems the 2.6.11.x versions are
still present, so that doesn't support that theory. In addition, I'd
argue it makes more sense to keep the latest point release (2.6.21.7)
instead of / in addition to the base release (2.6.21) as a compromise.

So, anyone know what's happening here?

Gr.

Matthijs