Re: Suspend and resume on ASUS Laptops

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Dec 02 2011 - 11:23:39 EST

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 10:43 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > It's possible that this problem is related to wakeup settings. Have
> > you tried disabling wakeup for the EHCI controllers?
>
> I'm totally ignorant of the inner workings of suspend to ram and how
> devices deal with it. How do I disable wakeup for the EHCI controllers?

Take a look at the two files

/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1[ad].0/power/wakeup

If they contain the word "enabled", write "disabled" to them. See
Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-devices-power.

> Also, does wakeup have anything to do with suspend. As the name
> suggests, it sounds like its more of a resume thing. But again, I'm
> ignorant when it comes to these matters. I just want to point out that
> without the script, the machine never makes it to a suspend state.

The wakeup setting affects the hardware, which could cause the system
to hang. And of course, the wakeup setting has to be installed in the
hardware during the suspend procedure, so that it will remain in effect
while the system is asleep.

> > This certainly appears to be some sort of bug in the firmware. Finding
> > it and working around it isn't likely to be easy. Unbinding (or
> > unloading) ehci-hcd may indeed be the path of least resistance.
>
> I wounder what windows does.

As in many other cases, it would be nice to know.

> Of course, vendors bend over backwards for
> MS, so it may not need to do much, or MS does something completely
> different. I do have this still as a dual boot with Windows7. I don't
> wipe my boxes clean of windows anymore. If I have to pay the damn MS
> tax, I might as well keep what I paid for :-p

I know; me too. Even though I almost never use it.

Alan Stern