Re: i915: RC6 causes sudden shutdowns

From: Patrik Kullman
Date: Sat Dec 03 2011 - 10:20:26 EST

2011/12/3 Patrik Kullman <patrik.kullman@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/12/2 Andrew Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxx>:

>>> Well, it's not something I've explicitly enabled.
>>>
>>> Is it on by default?
>>
>> Depends on config options.  You can probably get a good idea by
>> looking for "DMAR" in your kernel log.
>>

>>> If so, any reason why I wouldn't want to disable it?
>>
>> There are three reasons to enable it:
>>
>> 1. If you're paranoid and want to (partially) protect your system
>> against malicious PCI/PCIe cards.
>> 2. If you assign devices in your system to VM guests.
>> 3. If you have more than 4GB of RAM and you have DMA-capable devices
>> that can only address 32 bits, then you might get a performance boost.
>>
>> In other words, for normal desktop use, you don't need it.  Try
>> booting with intel_iommu=off.
>>
>> --Andy
>
> As reported by another Ubuntu Zenbook user
> (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11507684&postcount=207):
>
> Sadly i still get random shutdowns with 3.2-rc4. I have noticed that
> if i just leave my computer on, and does not use it (i have disabled
> the screensaver), the crashes does not accrue.
>
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash drm.debug=4 intel_iommu=off
> i915.modeset=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
> i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 pcie_aspm=force"

Something worth mentioning is that the combination of pcie_aspm=force
and intel_iommu=off results in i915.modeset=0, with this combination,
I have to specify i915.modeset=1 to get hardware acceleration.

However, only specifying i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 and intel_iommu=off
keeps modeset=1.

Also I can confirm RC6 and iommu off still causes unexpected
shutdowns, even when booting without FBC, LVDS downclock and
pcie_aspm=force.