Re: [git pull] apparmor fix for __d_path() misuse

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Dec 06 2011 - 19:42:23 EST

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IOW, I mean this:

Yeah, no.

> +       if (ancestor) {
> +               ancestor->mnt = mntget(vfsmnt);
> +               ancestor->dentry = dget(dentry);
> +       }

This part is still just pure and utter sh*t.

You have not explained why that information is *ever* valid. And I
claim it isn't.

We have a bug in our current __d_path(). And I claim that the
underlying cause of the bug is the crazy "let's return this
nonsensical and idiotic information that cannot possibly make sense to
anybody".

We shouldn't have done that in the first place. And we certainly
shouldn't *continue* doing that.

Linus