Re: System Storage Manager

From: Lukas Czerner
Date: Wed Dec 07 2011 - 06:17:46 EST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> On 12/07/2011 10:20 AM, Lukas Czerner wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I would like to introduce to you a new tool called System Storage
> > Manager (ssm). It is supposed to provide easy to use command line
> > interface to manage your storage using various technologies like
> > lvm, btrfs, encrypted volumes and possibly more.
> >
> > Background
> > ----------
> >
> > In more sophisticated enterprise storage environments, management with
> > Device Mapper (dm), Logical Volume Manager (LVM), or Multiple Devices
> > (md) is becoming increasingly more difficult. With file systems added
> > to the mix, the number of tools needed to configure and manage storage
> > has grown so large that it is simply not user friendly. With so many
> > options for a system administrator to consider, the opportunity for
> > errors and problems is large.
>
> This seems like a worthwhile project given the overlap
> in functionality from the various commands.
> It echoes some of the functionality provided by libguestfs
> for VM images I think.
>
> > The btrfs administration tools have shown us that storage management can
> > be simplified, and we are working to bring that ease of use to Linux
> > filesystems in general.
> >

> > You can also find some more information in my presentation from LinuxCon
> > Prague this year:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/lczerner/files/lczerner_fsm.pdf
>
> This had the name 'fsm'.

Yes I had to change it, since fsm implies file system, but it is not
only about file systems.

> I do think 'ssm' is better, however I would drop the '.py' from

Already done. But I can see that it is still present in the README file.
Will fix it, tanks.

> the command name. This is incidental and restrictive going forward.
> Note I checked the debian and freebsd man pages and 'ssm' is available.

I could not find it on http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi but I
know there is a project called ssm:

ssm.i686 : Macromolecular coordinate superposition library

but my project is called System Storage Manager and ssm is just the
executable. I could not find any binary with the same name (within
Fedora), not sure if that will be a problem...

> > The code is still under development and no release has been made yet, but
> > I would like to share with you what I have done so far, since the
> > progress has been a bit slower than I have previously expected. The
> > project lives on the sf.net :
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/storagemanager/
>
> This is a much cleaner landing page:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/storagemanager/home/Home/